If you have never heard of Health at Every Size or Intuitive Eating, here are some good starting points:
- What is Health at Every Size?
- The 10 Principles of Intuitive Eating
- The Anti-Diet Project is the journey of Kelsey Miller, a journalist/published author who decided to give up dieting and blog about it. If you’re thinking, “Why are all these thin dietitians telling me to give up dieting?,” then this is the post for you. If you like podcasts, I highly recommend her episode of Laura Thomas, PhD’s podcast, Don’t Salt My Game, as a starting point.
- This post by ImmaEATthat tackles some common misconceptions about Intuitive Eating and Health at Every Size.
Other Recommended Reading:
- I Can’t Love My Body at This Weight at the Real Life RD (I would recommend this even if you do not relate to the post title. It’s about living a life in accordance with your values, which food restriction makes really difficult.)
- “Why You Can’t Lose Weight on a Diet,” from the New York Times. Neuroscientist Sandra Aamodt explains why most dieters gain back the weight- and no, it’s not a lack of willpower.
- The books Health at Every Size by Linda Bacon, PhD and Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD and Elyse Resch, MS, RD (I know, the cover looks like a diet book.)
- If you’re ready to dive into Intuitive Eating but don’t want to read a book, Heather at the RD Real Talk podcast has an 11-episode (12 if you count the Q&A) series on the topic that goes through all of the principles individually. The first episode also discusses some of the scientific research that has been done on Intuitive Eating.